Scott Adams Blog: The Illusion of Winning 08/30/2010
Let's say that you and I decide to play pool. We agree to play eight-ball, best of five games. Our perception is that what follows is a contest to see who will do something called winning.
<p> But I don't see it that way. I always imagine the outcome of eight-ball to be predetermined, to about 95% certainty, based on who has practiced that specific skill the most over his lifetime. The remaining 5% is mostly luck, and playing a best of five series eliminates most of the luck too. </p> </blockquote> <div class="posterous_quote_citation"> via <a href="http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/the_illusion_of_winning/">dilbert.com</a> </div> <p> I found this really insightful. It seems obvious when you read it but for some reason it doesn't seem to occur naturally to me. </p>